What Is Sim Swap Safaricom?
A SIM swap is a fraudulent practice that allows a person to take over your mobile phone number by convincing your mobile phone network to transfer your SIM card to a new device. Once they have your SIM card, they can use it to make and receive calls, send and receive text messages, and access your online accounts.
In Kenya, Safaricom has been a victim of SIM swap fraud. In February 2023, a group of fraudsters successfully swapped the SIM card of a Safaricom customer and used it to access the customer’s M-Pesa account. The fraudsters were able to transfer Ksh500,000 from the customer’s account to their own account.
To protect yourself from SIM swap fraud, you can take the following steps:
- Enable two-factor authentication (2FA) for your online accounts. 2FA adds an extra layer of security to your accounts by requiring you to enter a code from your phone in addition to your password.
- Be careful about who you share your personal information with. Fraudsters often use personal information, such as your name, date of birth, and ID number, to convince your mobile phone network to transfer your SIM card to a new device.
- Report any suspicious activity to your mobile phone network immediately. If you think that someone has tried to swap your SIM card, contact your mobile phone network immediately and report the incident.
Here are some tips to protect yourself from SIM swap fraud:
- Use a strong password for your mobile phone account.
- Don’t share your password with anyone.
- Be careful about what information you share online.
- Report any suspicious activity to your mobile phone provider immediately.
If you think that your SIM card has been swapped, there are a few things you can do:
- Contact your mobile phone provider immediately.
- Report the fraud to the police.
- Change your passwords for all of your online accounts.
- Place a fraud alert on your credit report.
SIM swap fraud is a serious crime. By taking steps to protect yourself, you can help to prevent it from happening to you.
- When Was Safaricom Founded In Kenya?
- How To Send Bundles From Safaricom To Safaricom
- How To Save Safaricom Data Bundles
- How To Report A Con To Safaricom
- How Safaricom Sacco Works
- How Safaricom Pays MPESA Agents
- How Safaricom Mali Works
- How To Have Safaricom Shares
- Does Safaricom Record Calls?
- Do Safaricom Shops Sell iPhones?
- Do Safaricom Shops Sell Laptops?
- How To Disable Caller ID On Safaricom
- Can Safaricom Retrieve Deleted Messages?
- Can Safaricom Track A Lost Phone?
- Are Safaricom Internships Paid?
- Are Safaricom Shops Open on Sundays?
- How To Set Up Safaricom eSIM Apple Watch
- Complete List of Safaricom eSIM Compatible Phones
- Does Safaricom Support eSIM? What You Need To Know