In this blog post, we’ll explore ten suggestions for organizing a Kenyan kitchen with limited space. From making the most of available storage to choosing the right layout, we’ll provide practical tips on how to create a functional and stylish kitchen.
Many people believe that a tiny kitchen is not suitable for larger appliances and necessary items, however, I’m here to prove that this is not the case!
Home is where the heart is, and for many of us the kitchen is the hub. It is the place where we make our meals, share morning and afternoon meals with family, enjoy a glass of wine with friends and speak of our lives.
Despite the limited space of a small kitchen, there is no need to be restricted in what can be accomplished!
This blog post provides 8 ideas to help arrange a small kitchen in Kenya so that all its available space is utilized. Learn strategies on how to make the most of a limited area, and maximize the potential of a kitchen.
#1. Organize Utensils on a Pegboard Wall.
Organize tools and kitchen supplies on a pegboard wall to create functional and stylish storage space.
Utensils such as scissors, spatulas, measuring spoons, and whisks can all be hung on the pegboard wall to maximize space. Utilizing the pegboard wall to store and organize utensils can keep counter space clear and add a decorative element to the kitchen.
#2. Consider Thinking Vertically.
When arranging your kitchen vertically,, the first step is to decide on a layout. Consider the items you need to store and the space you have available to work with.
The next step is to measure and mark out the area for your vertical kitchen. Consider the height of your cabinets, appliances, and other items that you want to store in the vertical space. Mark out the measurements on the wall and use a level to ensure that everything is even.
Once you’ve done that, you can start to install the cabinets, shelves, and other storage solutions. Make sure to use screws and brackets to secure the items in place. You may also want to consider adding a few hooks to hang any utensils or other kitchen essentials that you don’t want to store in the cabinets or drawers.
You can also consider adding finishing touches to your vertical kitchen, such as a backsplash, granite countertop, or a wall mural. This is the perfect time to add some personality to your Kenyan kitchen and make it truly yours.
#3. Take Advantage Of Your Counter Space
First, consider the purpose of your counter space. Do you need to prep and cook food, or are you using it for storage? Once you know how you plan to use your counter space, it will be easier to come up with a layout that works for you.
If you need to prep and cook food, then make sure all your necessary kitchen tools are within reach. Look for space-saving solutions, like multi-functional cutting boards, or wall racks for hanging utensils. Consider adding shelves or drawers to store food items, or use baskets or jars to keep your ingredients organized. You can also use canisters to store dry food and keep it easily accessible.
If you’re looking to use your counter space for storage, then make sure to organize items according to frequency of use. Place items that you use most often in easy-to-reach places, and store items that you don’t use as often in higher or lower shelves. Make sure to label containers, so you know exactly where everything is.
#4. Maximize Storage Space With A Lazy Susan
A Lazy Susan is a rotating turntable that is designed to fit inside a kitchen cabinet or pantry. It can be used to store and organize a variety of kitchen items including spices, canned goods, and even small kitchen appliances. This type of storage solution is particularly beneficial for small kitchens, as it allows you to maximize the storage space and make it easier to find items.
When installing a Lazy Susan in your small kitchen in Kenya, the first step is to measure the inside of the cabinet or pantry that you plan to use it in. This will determine the size of the Lazy Susan you need to purchase. You should also take into account any shelves or drawers that are already inside the cabinet, as this will determine the height of the Lazy Susan.
Once you have the measurements, you can start arranging the items on the Lazy Susan. Start by grouping related items together. For example, if you are storing canned goods, place them all together on the Lazy Susan. This will make it easier to find the items you need and keep the cabinet organized and efficient.
You should also consider grouping items according to their size. This will make it easier to find the items that you need, while also maximizing the storage space in the cabinet. If you have larger items such as small kitchen appliances, place them on the top shelf of the Lazy Susan so they are easy to reach.
Remember to also label items on the Lazy Susan. This will make it easier to find items and will also help you keep the cabinet organized and efficient. A label maker or a permanent marker can be used for this purpose.
#5. Re-Design Your Kitchen Using Grid Lines And Cabinet Spacers
Grid lines and cabinet spacers are two great tools for anyone looking to maximize their kitchen space and make it look more organized. These tools will help you create a design that meets your needs and makes the most of the space you have.
When designing your kitchen with grid lines and cabinet spacers you first step in to take measurements of all the walls and counters in your kitchen. This will help you determine the size of the grid lines you need and how long the spacers should be.
Once you have all the measurements, you can map out your kitchen using grid lines. Start by drawing vertical lines on the wall and then drawing horizontal lines on the countertops. This will help you visualize how the grid will look and make it easier to place the spacers.
Another great tool to use when designing your kitchen is a cabinet spacer. This will help you create even spacing between the cabinets, making your kitchen look much neater and more organized.
When installing the cabinet spacers, be sure to leave a small gap between each spacer to let air flow freely.
#6. Rearrange Drawers
Drawers are typically the most used storage space in the kitchen and are great for storing items of all shapes and sizes. To avoid having a cluttered kitchen, it’s important to arrange drawers in an organized and functional manner.
The best way to arrange kitchen drawers is to group like items together. This means putting all your utensils in one drawer, all your cutlery in another, and all your plates and bowls in another. This will make it easier to find the items you need when you’re cooking or eating. It’s also a good idea to label each drawer to make it even easier to find what you’re looking for.
It’s also important to consider the size of the items you’re storing. Smaller items such as teaspoons and forks should be kept in a shallow drawer, while larger items such as pots and pans should be kept in deeper drawers. This will help to maximise the space in your kitchen and prevent items from becoming scattered.
#7. Utilize Barrels And Jars
When it comes to utilizing barrels and jars for your kitchen, there are a few things you should consider. For starters, you should consider how much storage you need. If you’re looking to store a lot, a large barrel may be the best option. On the other hand, if you’re looking to store a few items, a few jars may be the better choice.
Once you’ve decided on the size of the containers you want to use, you can begin to think about how to best arrange them in your kitchen. If you have a lot of items to store, you’ll want to find a way to make the most of your space. Consider arranging the containers in a way that follows the shape of your kitchen. For example, if you have an L-shaped kitchen, you can line the walls with large barrels and fill the middle area with smaller jars.
Another thing to consider when arranging your kitchen is where to place the barrels and jars. Make sure to put them in areas that are easily accessible and make sense for the items you plan to store. For instance, if you plan to store cooking utensils, you’ll want to make sure that they’re placed near the stove or sink.
You’ll want to also add a bit of style to the arrangement of your barrels and jars. Consider painting them in colors that complement the rest of your kitchen. You can also add a few decorations to the barrels and jars to make them more interesting.
Set Of 3(1.9litres) Small Airtight Storage Containers
- Versatile Storage Options: This set of small airtight storage containers is ideal for storing cereals, grains, and more. The versatile design makes it easy to store a variety of items with ease. Plus, the calibrated measuring cup and pour spout make measuring and pouring even easier.
- Easy to Clean: These containers are made from durable plastic that is both dishwasher safe and easy to clean by hand. So you can quickly and easily keep your containers in top condition without any hassle.
- Efficient Space Saving Design: The stackable design of these containers allows you to save space in your pantry or kitchen cabinets while keeping all your food items organized. This makes it easy to find what you need without taking up too much space.
- Keeps Food Fresh: These airtight storage containers will help keep all your food items fresh longer thanks to the tight seals that lock out moisture, air, and other contaminants. So you can rest assured knowing your food will stay fresh until you’re ready to eat it.
- Easy Transportation: Thanks to the lightweight yet sturdy construction of these containers, transporting them from one place to another is quick and easy. And the convenient carry handles make it even simpler so you can take them with you wherever you go.
Acrylic Fridge Storage Container With Drainer And Lid
- Multi-Purpose Usage: This fridge storage container is a must-have for anyone looking to store their fruits and vegetables in an organized fashion. Not only can it accommodate a variety of produce, its adjustable ventilation holes allow you to control the environment inside the boxes, ensuring your food stays fresh. With its built-in drain basket, you can easily discard excess liquid or debris after washing your produce.
- Space Saving Design: This compact refrigerator storage container offers an efficient way to store and organize all of your fresh fruits and vegetables in one place. Its transparent design allows you to easily identify what’s inside at a glance without having to pull out individual boxes – this saves time and reduces clutter in your refrigerator.
- Easy Cleaning: The plastic box material is easy to clean, making this fridge storage container the ultimate convenience for everyday use. The built-in drain basket allows for quick cleaning of any excess liquid or debris after washing off your produce. Additionally, the adjustable ventilation holes help keep food fresher longer by controlling airflow inside the boxes.
- Durability: This fridge storage container is made from high quality plastic that is both durable and long lasting. Its adjustable ventilation holes ensure proper air circulation within the boxes while also providing extra protection against spoilage. The clear design also provides additional protection against dust and dirt build up on interior surfaces.
- Versatility: This fridge storage container is perfect for storing a variety of different fruits and vegetables. It’s clear design makes it easy to identify what’s inside at a glance, while its adjustable ventilation holes allow you to control the environment inside each box – ensuring your food stays as fresh as possible!
#8. Replace Cabinet Doors With Glass Or Sliding Panels
Glass doors are the perfect way to make your kitchen look modern and stylish, while adding functionality and storage space. They come in a variety of styles and sizes to fit your existing kitchen design.
For example, if you have frameless cabinets, you can find glass door panels that fit without any modifications. Glass also has a reflective quality that helps to make your kitchen look larger and brighter, making it the perfect choice for a small kitchen in Kenya.
Sliding panels are also a great way to arrange a small kitchen in Kenya. If your cabinets have doors that swing out, you can replace them with a sliding door panel. This style of door is especially great for keeping clutter to a minimum. They are also perfect for utilizing wall space, as they can be placed in any corner of the room.
Following these tips will help you to make the most of the limited space in a small kitchen in Kenya. With the right layout and design, a small kitchen can be just as efficient and aesthetically pleasing as a larger one.
Investing in the right ideas and equipment will ensure that you have a kitchen that is efficient, inviting, and comfortable.